Starting a new job? Want to look brilliant to your boss? Here’s a quick tip to help!
As a coach, I get a question all the time – I’m starting a new job and I really want to get started on the right foot.
- Look around for the first few weeks for “low hanging fruit” – things that you could absolutely crush in 90 days.
- Then I’d go to my boss and say “Boss, I have been looking around and wanted to run a couple of things by you. I think that we can complete X and Y in 90 days. I have 2 questions for you:
- Do those sound like good goals for me? and
- Is there something else that I should add to this list?“
- Then – go destroy X and Y – do them so well you blow them out of the water. Then mention to your boss that you got it done, as you had agreed.
This gives you clarity about setting priorities. It gives you measurability – you’ll know when you’re really getting it done.
It also gives your boss bragging rights about how smart he or she was to have hired you – because your boss can point to specific, measurable achievements from you – a productive new hire.
And you look like a genius.
London Management Centre says
Quite a smart method to get noticed in your first jobs, also shows the determination, intelligence and leadership skills you could potentially posses.