I’ve been in a group mastermind this month, focused on Dan Pink’s (#DanielPink) new book: To Sell is Human
It’s fantastic. One of the things he talks about is how to “pitch” ideas. He describes the “Pixar Pitch” which is the formula that Pixar uses for their stories.
Here’s the formula:
- Once upon a time
- Every Day
- One day
- Because of that
- Because of that
- Until finally
It’s the pattern of all Pixar movies.
Here’s my story in “Pixar Pitch” format
- Once upon a time, many years ago I was young geek who worked on software and IT projects.
- Every day I watched too many good people and good projects fail to meet business goals.
- Have you ever seen failed projects at work? It hurts, doesn’t it?
- One day I discovered the secret to successful projects.
- I learned that leadership is the key to effectively moving people and delivering business value.
- Because of this I began to study what it means to be a leader and how to lead others effectively. I learned that leadership is a skill that can be learned, and over time I practiced those skills and became a better leader.
- Because of this new awareness, I began to see that few tech leaders understood this secret. Few of them ever study these types of skills. I really wanted to help them learn what I learned.
- Until finally I created a business with to help tech leaders get more from their teams. Would you like to know how I do it?
Can I help you?
What do you think?
Michael Assad says
I saw Dan Pink speak in Orlando in May and he was great! I just finished going through the exercise for Agility:
Once upon a time people stopped reading magazines
Every day people would open their smartphones and chat with friends, play games and read news online
One day, a company called Agility launched a solution to help magazines integrate their content into the digital world
Because of that, people had a way to access their favourite magazines anywhere they were on any device!
Because of that magazines started to make up ground that they were losing on print sales and subscriptions
Until finally magazines rekindled and deepened their relationship with their audience by delivering their stories in new and interesting ways, without getting caught up in technology
Nicely done. It’s fantastic to see people take ideas that they read and then apply them.